01 December 2010

Basic BROWNIES


I like very much brownies, before I was living in Indonesia at city called Bandung where brownies became famous and invited people all over the cities to come and visited just to buy the brownies. I didn’t know who was the first one Amanda’s or Kartika Sari or others but there are baked and steam brownies; I like both of them but in steam the chocolates more tasty.

I tried to make my first brownies with this recipe from  http://www.brownierecipes.net/
Ingredients:
¼ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.
½ cup of sifted unbleached flour.
2 ½ tablespoons of softened margarine.
1 ½ tablespoons of chopped walnuts.
½ cup of sugar.
1 egg.
Preparation:
Preheat oven on a high setting.
Lightly grease a 3 ½ x 7 ½ inch baking tray.
Cream the margarine and sugar in a large bowl.
Mix in the cocoa powder, then add the egg and whip the mixture for about 1-2 minutes, until smooth and all
The cocoa powder has been combined.
Sift the flour and add to the mixture, stir in the nuts.
Evenly spread the batter into the tin and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out slightly moist.
Cool the brownie and then cut into 10 squares.

The taste was nice but it’s become too thin and crispy; as you can see at the above picture. Also I don’t understand about the cup measurement and I replaced the walnut with corn flakes. It was failed I don’t understand why but the taste was nice so even though it didn’t looks like brownies; very thin and crispy but we eat it all.


After my first brownies failed I was searching for another recipe and found many but I only test the basic brownies first from COOKS.COM 6 months ago, here are the ingredients:
□ 2 cups sugar
□ 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
□ 1 cup butter
□ 2-3 squares unsweetened chocolate
□ 4 eggs, slightly beaten
□ 1 tsp. baking powder
□ 2 tsp. vanilla
□ 1 cup chopped nuts
□ 1/2 tsp. espresso powder (optional)
Melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Add sugar and eggs. Mix. Sift
Flour and baking powder and stir in.
Stir in vanilla and nuts.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven in a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch
pan for 35-40 minutes (or until done).

At first time testing this recipe I didn’t found unsweetened chocolates with bars so I use cacao instead and make it around ½ cup without walnuts because I’ve been searching almost in every supermarket that my husband and I shop but didn’t found it so without walnut my second brownies and also forgot to searching for vanilla. 


It’s nice but didn’t taste like brownies, it more like simple chocolate cake and it’s finish slow, at first we eat some fresh from oven and it’s taste nice but after cold my husband and I didn’t like it very much so he brings to his office and every time we drink tea or coffee I serve with that finally finished after 2 weeks and sometimes warm a little at oven.

After that I’m still curious to test this recipe then I found chocolates bars for cooking, chocolates chips, chop walnuts and sesame seeds. The 3rd was went out too sweet  but it’s taste like brownies I forgot to reduce the sugar because the chocolate bars already have 25% sugar. The 4th with walnut because I test after I found the walnut at Carrefour marinopoulos this also better but I forgot to reduce the sugar again and its still a little bit sweet even though I add more chocolate and cacao.

Finally at the 5th or 6th I don’t remember exactly but I tried many times this and the last time that was great when 1/3 pack of walnut left. So I was finishing the walnut also bake into 3 pieces 10X15X 4 cm container because I’m thinking to share it with my parents & sister in law and because I don’t want my husband and I eat it all we already need diet but I’m still curious to make the nice brownies.

I change the recipe a little bit, to fit my situations here. These are the ingredients:
□ 1 1/2 cups = 150 gr sugar
□ 1 1/2 cups = 150 gr sifted flour (a little more for the container)
□ 1 cup = 75-100 gr butter (a little more for the container)
□ 3-5 squares unsweetened chocolate (= 75 -125 gr) 1 square is 25 gr
□ 4 eggs, slightly beaten
□ 1 tea spoon baking powder
□ 2 tea spoons vanilla (2 packs if the vanillas like mine)
□ 1 cup chopped walnuts (as you like)
□ 1 table spoon sesame seeds (optional)
□ 2 table spoon chocolate chips (as you like) or chop chocolate bars
□ 3 pieces 10X15X 4 cm container

Preparations:
1. Before you start mixing, just brush the container first with butter and after with flour, because when you’re cooking alone if not do this at first, you will forget it.
2. After mix eggs along with sugar put it at the 1st speed until it almost white color, while you melting the chocolate and butter.
3. When the eggs and sugar already mixed well pour the vanilla and baking powder
4. After few second slightly with the spoon pouring the flour until finish all and mixed well
5. The last but not least the melted butter and chocolate mixed with all the batter untul well mix, you can use the mixer or with spatula it’s fine.
6. After the batter ready you can mix a little walnut or chocolate chips with spatula or a little sesame seed at the top.
Final brownies
Fresh from oven always taste nice
The 3 containers; for my husband and I we mixed all inside the batter, walnuts, chocolate chips and bars and some sesame at the top of it. For my parents in law also the same except for my sister in law she allergic to nuts so I just mixed it with chocolates.

After the cake ready my husband didn’t want to share with his family, he wants to keep it all for us at home. But I told him if we keep it we will be fat and he agreed to bring it to his family and the cakes finish in 1 day, 2/3 after ready and fresh from oven later at dinner we finish it as desert.

The happiness in cooking when it turns out well and the person who we cooked for likes it very much. Just don’t too much stuck at the recipes, play with it as your family likes it then you will be a good chef for your family.

Have a nice time testing this recipe; don’t forget to drop a comment after. GBU

serve with tea
 

No comments:

Post a Comment